Friday, August 1, 2014

Merry go round

Today we moved into the Merry-go-Round in Bakersfield. It was a perfect 105 degrees.
We started the morning or I started the morning watering at 5:30am and care of our outside chores. Wes joined me walking Annabelle and feeding the chickens and larger dogs. Did some laundry, dishes, online work, packages for shipping and then a shower. Made a great sale on some Clarice Cliff Bizarre commemorative tea set I had bought at Treasures and Junk in Ontario. All done by 8am.
Linda and Bill picked me up at 9:15. Apparently they had had a flat tire last night and Linda had a mini meltdown. I would have had one too. Then we stopped for gas in Lebec and post.

By 9:40 we were well on our way, but the temp outside really started to escalate. Even with the air blasting it was fighting the ever hot windows. But we continued till we were on Wall St, an alley way that runs behind the shop in which we can unload things.With a big American Flag painted on the door we knew we were in the right place. It was somewhat like a speakeasy. You press a button and someone comes to the door.

In this case it was Bruce of Paul and Bruce the owners. As I got out of the truck, I noticed the back of the trucks window was dangling. Easily I lifted it and I yelled to Bill, "I think you need to come see something Bill. It is important". Bill did come over and we all had to laugh. The ghetto mobile is now more ghetto.

Moving in was easy and with the usual shenanigans we got the booth together. Well in the end Bill and I threw it together. It is our thing, a decorating collaboration. we ventured the upper and lower floors and then moved on to the baking truck. We had foam to buy for a project and then lunch at the Sequoia Sandwich shop in downtown Bakersfield. This place gets packed and they are only open till 2:30.

But our day doesn't end there, the flat tire was a result of a front end issue with the truck, so we had to go to a mechanic in Lamont. This is a predominantly Latin community but here we are finding a middle aged white guy doing wheel related things. It was odd but he seemed nice and honest. With some looking he gave them an estimate and we were on our way back along the center of town down through fields til we reached Laval road in Grapevine.

Worn out we got a drink at Jacks and then stopped at Alices to visit with her and Ann. But the heat was relentless. It wiped the smile right off your face but we shared an ice cream and then stopped at the thrift store and market. It felt forever to get home finally, but the heat can do that. I found that I needed to nap and then focus on taking care of dinner.

The house just couldn't get cool enough for me. I suffered through making meatloaf and steamed broccoli. What I really wanted to do is veg veg veg....

No comments:

Post a Comment