Saturday, May 21, 2016

Eames, reams, memes

I read an article about the trend of individuals turning their tastes away from antiques and collectibles of the past and only being interested in the minimalist simplicity of the mid century modern and modern furniture and accessories. Pictured was an elderly lonely antique dealer holding up something  up an accessory. It made me feel bad, but the truth is young, older, older ebven are buying whatever.

I bought mid-century in the eighties when there was an abundance cheap. I still have many pieces. I find that everyone wants a mix of items. I have an Eames recliner with ottoman in with French deco, mixed with Asian kitsch, handwrought iron, original expressionistic artwork, foundry molds, theatre seats in leopard, 150 year old wood chest from Sweden, etc...

I don't think I am an anomaly, I think I am more the average. I think it all works. Antiques, modern, retro, etc.. It is the curating of these items that really matters. How do they make you feel, how does it play with your senses. I may be coming from jaded place but I follow all trends and appreciate and learn from other people's aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment