Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Real vs Fake

So it is really hard to focus on the business of antiques and collectibles when everything around you is going to pot. I am fortunate to live in California which comes with its own set of issues but at least I have the right to choose the way I live. By that I mean at least if I choose to not be a rascist I can without any pressure. But I do have friends who live in less diverse places. I digress.

So this month there is an article in DWELL about buying real vs fake furniture. I think it isn't that cut and dry. For myself, I deal in the trade of vintage and antiques. I do like to have original pieces by fabulous designers and craftsmen/women. But I am also ok with some reproduction or inspired by. One reason may be affordability but the other availability. For instance, I want a certain look in the kitchen for lighting. What I wanted and what was available was two different things. So I went to Ikea and purchased the lighting that has the similar look. Until I run across the lighting I actually need desire I feel it works in between. In the case of IKEA, they do have designers and for lighting I know that it is new and to code. But then again I work in the world of antique and collectibles. The ultimate recycling experience.






Dwell talks about the quality of workmanship and materials. Quality of items is a concern, I have no illusions about that and take that in to consideration when purchasing. They mention the pair of quality jeans. Jeans even iconic jeans such as Levis are not made I the country of origin thus in light of cheaper labor they have opted for cheaper materials. So a pair of jeans that run $55 to $65 are a bad example of. These were once considered a quality item is now resigned to questionable status.



On the other hand, for those who want an item of iconic decor such as the Eames lounger, but affordability is questionabe, sometimes reproductions can allow someone with taste but not the pocketbook a chance. Then when someone can indeed purchase one, they do so. It is not a cut and dry question. So much of design is out of reach for the average individual but we should never deny someone a chance for good design esthetic.
UIKeyInputDownArrow
 
Russel Wright early 30th century designer, believed, “good design is for everyone,” Wright, along with his fellow industrial designers, sought to democratize design by creating inexpensive, mass-produced objects for the American home.


No comments:

Post a Comment