Sunday, October 2, 2016

Industrial, salvage, upcycling and oh yeah urban farmer?

Transformation is always a great high and and an uncertain low. The high is change and the process that takes us there and the low is we are leaving something of us behind. As I have gone from mom to stuudent to educator to dealer to this new mish mash of a title, I discovered that the high and low are very congruent at times. So I sit over breakfast wondering how did I get here and what's next.

It evolved from personal stylings on the sideline of my life, to here I am now with a vast array of interests, duties and loves. In the mornings I complete reading the current issues of Dwell, Elle Decor, Atomic Ranch, Modern and Urban Farmer and some vintage collecting mags, I realized how varied my world has become. On the other hand, maybe we as individuals have become varied as a whole. Especially when we can "goggle" just about anything. (Which I love, btw)


I also don't think it is just me who has come to this. The cover of this mag kind of sums up some of the connections. What is in our food for pets, water rights and IKEA hack for hydroponic farms. With a hip approach and fun play on words. Not your typical mag for sure. Might I add the Beekman Boys of Sharon Springs, NY gave a complementary subscription to original customers. So now I am hooked. But I also am hooked on high end art and design, then I go to the next thing that random piece of salvage and how can I incorporate it in my existence. Do I have room for another antique foundry mold? Do I have time to set up the chicken coop that came from England this week or moving the 57 travel trailer? Where does it start and stop?

Well, it doesn't need to, me thinks. But what I can not grasp is that I don't have the time to absorb all my loves of living. Conventionally, I should be on a task to completion and then next task. I don't operate that way though. I start a task, start another, another, another and then circle back to the first task. It seems to work that way for me. Conventionality makes more sense and probably more constructive, but for me it is a turn off. 

For example, my list for the day is new trailer tires go on, trailer gets moved to property, set up new chicken coop, tear down old chicken coop, move some inventory, move some of our veg garden to green house, pack some inventory for November show, make list of ornaments that needs to be made this month. Possibly going to transfer site and possibly not. Work out menu for the week, work out dinner, clean, organize. Did I mention that the fact it is a weekend doesn't matter?
Cut herbs to dry and then layout master plan for growing net year. Drive out to Lockwood to collect rocks for landscape and come home unload and lay them. 

Not much in a weekend considering that it is always that way and I do get up at 4 am to start. So how to fit in all of the above is just the way of an eclectic life. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment